We recently completed a backyard ADU for a young couple (and their newborn).
We got involved very early in the design to assist with pricing and constructability. This allowed the owners to decide on various options during design, which ensured changes did not compromise the overall concept and the project remained within their budget.
This home has many custom and energy efficient features including:
- European style cabinets with Rift White Oak custom fronts from Kokeena.
- Quartz Counters.
- Custom low profile wood trim with drywall reveal/shadow line.
- Exposed custom FSC-Certified Glulam beam
- High-efficiency LED lighting throughout.
- Wireless controlled Haiku ceiling fan
- Wall insulation: High-density, blown-in, formaldehyde-free, fiberglass insulation (R-23).
- Continuously insulated concrete floor (R-20).
- Clear-story windows over closets in bedrooms for additional light.
- Cedar trellis and screen wall provides privacy and shades a wall of windows allowing for natural light without direct summer sun.
- Forest Stewardship Council-certified wood products throughout.
- Energy-efficient Mitsubishi mini-split mechanical system
- High performance roof (R-65 overall) assembly including:
- Cathedral ceiling - allowing for a higher ceiling because the ceiling pich matches the roof pitch
- Ceiling insulated with high-density, blown-in, formaldehyde-free, fiberglass insulation (R-45).
- Four inches of rigid insulation above the ceiling provides and additional insulation value and provides a thermal break between the roof and the ceiling (R-20).
- Low profile overhangs/eaves give the exterior roof a more slim/modern look
- Standing seam metal roof (sleek and durable - 100 year expected life).
- Passive house rated cat door (U-factor 0.61, 0.03 cfm/ft^2) with trim to match windows.
- Storage area above bathroom with access from master bedroom.
- Occupancy-Controlled ventilation in the bath/laundry room.
This project was designed by Nick Mira at Propel Studios.
Project photos by Josh Partee.